Skip to main content

2-21-13 Project Runways Season 11 Review!!!

Whhhhoooo was this a fabulous episode!! This week featured on of my favorite singers and her fabulous style. As far as I am concerned, there is nothing more fabulous than mixing the edgy glam vibe of rock n' roll with the Hollywood glamour of country western. As Heidi said (I am pretty sure she was the judge who said this one...correct me if I am wrong) "it is the ultimate combination of hard and soft". This week Runway spiced up the scene by taking a new spin on the"Teams" approach. This week, the designers were paired off into teams of two where they had to create looks that went well with their partners. I was waiting for this approach! I think that the big teams allowed some of the designers to mascaraed under the success and assistance of their fellow designers. By pairing them up in two's, we really got a better glimpse of who the designers really are. As always, this review is totally my opinions and my not correspond with what the judges said. In addition, it will not contain any spoilers as per usual.

Challenge: The designers had to create one performance outfit and one red carpet outfit for Miranda Lambert.

Daniel and Samantha: I'm just goina start off her with Samantha had immunity. And that is all I am going to say about that. I actually loved her look this week. Samantha made an adorable, edgy black leather vest with a wide zipper collar and a tiered mini skirt. If I was in concert, I would absolutely wear this. I thought that it was the perfect, easy to jump around in outfit. Unfortunately, I was not the costumer here. This outfit, while fabulous, was not Miranda Lambert at all. It did not mesh her Country side with her Rock side and it certainly was not made to show off her curves. I agree with the judges on critiquing this for Miranda as it was far from good for her, however, I still think that it is a great little outfit. Daniel's on the other hand, was a great little mess. That top he made looked like he shopped at Michael's Craft. I know that he loved it, and props to him for having confidence in what he made, but it just wasn't attractive. It was like this blueish color with a silver undertone and it was a halter that was reeeeeallly low cut. The bottom half was a plain blue skirt with some distressing on the ends. Honestly, this was like Prom meets the rug. The skirt looked really forced. Not a home run week for Daniel.

Stanly and Richard: This was my favorite duo of the Runway. Richard created this fish net, body con dress with black and silver chains and a mood t-shirt slip underneath. Of course, if Miranda were to wear this, I am sure that the mood t-shirt would be replaced with something more high end...however...lets just ignore that little fact and concentrate on the glam of this dress!! Richard's dress was honestly my favorite thing so far this season. It also came with a little matching glove and anything with a glove is good to me. I thought that this dress was just the perfect dress for stage. It said Country, it said Rock and it said I am Miranda Lambert and I am fabulous all over it. I think that the structure of the dress would be flattering to her body and I think that it just is really really her. Bravo Richard. Stanly's dress I also liked a lot. I do not agree with the judges critique on the fullness of the dress. I thought that it made it a bit more unique. Stanly made a navy blue plunge neck line with a shiny cinched in waist and a pleated flowey skirt. I thought that this was stunning and unique and that it would look really good on Miranda. I think that this was deff the best gown on the runway this week. I think that Stanly needed this dress because, at least to me, he was fading behind some of the other designers. However, after this week...Stanly....I have my eye on you ;)

Benjamin and Amanda: Two designers who have come sooo close to the chopping block. Interesting how they got paired together no? Lets start with Benjamin. I really liked this gown. Ben made a tealish blue body con gown with a flair at the bottom and an embellishment on the left breast. I though that this dress was sheik and classic and really stunning. I am so glad that Benjamin is finally getting use to the whole timed challenge thing. This dress looked really well made and really well thought out. However, I did not like how I could see her corset underneath it. I did not like that she had to wear a corset (she is a model! Need she be any skinnier??) And I do not think that it was very Miranda Lambert Esq. I don't think that Miranda would look bad in this dress...I just dint think that it is in keeping with her style. Amanda, I loved this look as well. Amanda made a black fringe dress with a long statement silver necklace. I thought that this was SO Miranda!! I would love to see her wear this dress maybe on an album cover. It was perfect perfect perfect. I think that Amanda really needed to pull out all the stops after being ceremoniously thrown under the bus last week... and she did.

Kate and Tu: Okay lets start with fab and then we will move on to the drab. I loved Kate's look. The color is a bit eh for me, however, I think that it was extremely well made and very Miranda. I loved this look because it kept the client in mind but still was innovative for her. I loved the mix of the red leather with the flowey red skirt. I also loved the back with the studding on the shoulder (studding always earns you extra points in my eyes). I think that this dress would be fabulous for the red carpet because it is unique and really would stand out among the other classic dresses. I think that Kate did a really solid job on this one and I am glad to finally get a better picture of her as her own designer. My only advice for Kate, be careful what you say when the camera is rolling...because it wont always edit in your favor. Moving on to Tu. This to me was not so fabulous. A stage outfit should be glitzy and edgy, to me this was very safe. Tu made a gray tiered motorcycle tank with a straight skirt in the same color with wings. A shirt that stiff must be impossible to dance in and considering that the audience is a singer...that is not a good thing. In addition, it was all one color with no bedazzelment. It would look rather boring onstage and would not enhance any song. This to me didn't capture the challenge at all. Not to mention the wings on the skirt? I just didn't get that part.

Patricia and Lyanna: This combo is hard meets soft already! I don't think that either of their dresses were WOW but neither of them were bad either. Lyanna made a navy short long dress with a sliver glitzy belt and the model had a matching arm bracelet. I loved the arm decor. The dress was elegant and simple, but it was not innovative. I have deff seen this dress somewhere before. Although it was well made, I honestly think that it better suited Carried Underwood's style than it did Miranda Lambert's. But all the same, it was not a bad dress by any stretch. Patricia's dress was also not the right one for Miranda in my eyes, but again not terrible. Patricia used a pattern to make a tube dress and then had white fringe in a halter baby doll style. Miranda Lambert is not flat chested and the baby doll style with all that hanging would not look good on her. Like I said last season, you don't put a line right under the boobs of a girl who has a nice rack. Its just not attractive. With that said, it looked cute and unique on the model. A perfect dress for someone else, maybe, it was deff well made and it looked like a lot of time went into it. I am always amazed by Patricia's ability to do so much in so little time. (Side note. Fabric manipulation has been Patricia's thing from the start and now Daniel is doing it too??? Hmmmm)

Michelle and Matt: I actually liked Michelle's! The judges critiqued it saying that it was more Rolling Stones than Miranda Lambert, but I really liked this. I think that the vest she made with the studding was the coolest material and I really liked the fit. It would look good on anyone. As for the fringe necklace, I have never seen anything like it before and I think that it is a very unique piece. When heading onto the red carpet, the objective is to wear something innovative...and what is more innovative than a fringe necklace?? The skirt I thought kind of just went with the outfit. It wasn't anything absolutely special as it was just a plain, dark, solid skirt. I think if she had made the vest into a dress, the whole outfit would maybe have looked a tad more complete. I think its interesting how so many of the designers mad a top and then just added a long solid skirt. New trend? Or lack of ideas? I guess we will have to wait and see ;). Matt. You guys all know by now that I love Matt. I think that he has so so so so much potential, he is just so so so young for this show (look whose talking..ha!) I do agree that he was suffering from a lack of confidence this week and that always bits, but what he said is true, he is one of 16 designers out of many who got the opportunity to be on the show...so chin up honey and onward you go! I really liked the top that Matt made. It was black with a lot of detailing and a mesh shoulder and it had a sweet heart neck line with a strip down the middle. I thought that this was really cute and absolutely stage ready. It would really look good on anyone and it could be paired with a lot of different things. However, he paired it with probably that only thing it would look bad with. He made this gray skirt that was a little poofy. It was very run of the mill and very fade into the background. That is not good for the stage. In addition, I think that the boringness of the skirt and the fact that it blended in with the top took away from the amazingness of the top itself.


And that concludes this week's review of the runway! If you have not seen the episode yet, give it a watch!! It is deff worth your time. As always, I will be back next week with a review of the runway...but until then...
xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Series! Best Fit: Exercise and Eating Right

Hey Fashionistas! This series is all about getting healthy and staying healthy. Living a healthy lifestyle will not only make your clothing fit better, but it will make your personality fit better too. I am not a Health and Wellness coach, but I am a regular person (just like you) trying to be my best self. Exercising and eating right is often associated with weight loss. This series is not about weight (although we may address it from time to time). This series is about improving our physical and mental health together. The next post in this series will be the first "content post" back. If you have any topics you would like me to address, please comment down below and I will get back to you as soon as I can. xoxo ~ Glam-Forward ~

Best Fit: How to Start Your Fitness Journey

"Best Fit" Let's start our fitness journey! Incorporating fitness into your daily life is difficult. Life is full of wonderful things to do and it can be hard to prioritize being healthy. Today we are going to jump right in and start incorporating fitness into our daily lives.  *Disclaimer: I am neither a fitness expert nor a doctor. I am here to build a community, not give professional advise. Before beginning your fitness journey, check with your medical professionals to make sure you are physically healthy enough to complete any activities suggested. 1. Pick a time of day for your workout: Picking a time of day is a great first step in starting a healthier lifestyle. Putting it on your calendar (maybe even setting up a reminder notice) will help you hold yourself accountable. It will also remind you that you have set aside time that day to go to the gym so you do not double book yourself.  Personally, I prefer to work out in the late afternoon/ea

Project Runway 10-15-15 Recap Review

Previously on Project Runway: The designers gave members of the Project Runway crew a makeover. Hey guys! Welcome to this week's Project Runway Recap Review! We are getting closer and closer to fashion week each episode and the competition is getting tight. At this point, any of the designers could go home. Last week was packed with drama...but...its a new week, and a fresh slate, so lets get started. Challenge: The five remaining designers will make an outfit inspired by the New York City bridges (Queensborough, Brooklyn, Manhattan). The designers were assigned a bridge from the black bag of doom. Each designer created a textile with a 3-D printer that they had to incorporate into their garment. This is an Avant Garde challenge. Thoughts In The Workroom:  I'm not so sure what I think about 3-D printers...comment down below and let me know what you think about them (in general, not just in fashion). Candice made a good choice not using black again this week. Designers who