Skip to main content

1-24-13 Project Runway Season 11 Review

Hey guys! As promised, I am back with reviews for Season 11 of Project Runway!! Okay so I am going to start by addressing the teams thing. First of all, I would have been terrified and in battle mode when Heidi announced that the designers would be in teams for the whole show!!! As a viewer, I am not sure how I feel about it, although I did like the first episode. I am not a fan of the drama between the contestants in the normal version of the show. I watch it for the fashion. Historically, team challenges create the most drama between the designers because the designers have to work together in creating looks which causes a clash in styles, opinion, personalities and ideas. On Project Runway, "team" is synonymous for DRAMA. I feel like this season is going to have a plate full of it just by the nature of the fact that ever challenge is a team challenge. I just hope that the drama dose not take away from the fashion and the purpose of the show; to launch careers in the fashion industry. With that said, Project Runway is a TV show and the need to rake in the ratings. The teams concept was created because the average age of the designers this season is older then the usual average. They were worried that the show would not be as exciting because of that so the producer added in the team element to keep the show fresh and exciting (not that I think it would have been boring without it). Despite my lack of enthusiasm about the probable increase in drama this season, I am still very excited to get to know all of the designers this season and to see what they bring to the table. Before I get into my review, I just wanted to mention (as always) that these are my opinions and they do not always 100% correspond with the judges opinions. Also, I will not provide any spoilers in this review so if you have not watched yet, you are safe to keep reading!!! :)

Challenge: The first challenge of the season was for each team to make a New York inspired collection.

**This season, Michael Kors will not be joining the cast as he had a conflict with the filming of the show and honestly, I miss him on it and hope he returns for season 12. His replacement judge is Zac Posen.**

 Team Keeping it Real: The designers on this team are Amanda Valentine, Daniel Esquivel, Joe Segal, Kate Pankoke, Layana Aguilar, Richard Hallmarq, Particia Michaels, and Stanley Hudson. My favorite outfit of this collection was deff Daniel's. His outfit was an all black peplum top with black capree bottoms. The shoulders were big with shoulder pads (which I love), the neck line was plunged and the garmet was exquizetly made. I love the first week of the show because you really get a feel for which designers you are going to be seeing the whloe season and which ones will go out early. I deff feel like we are going to be seeing a lot of Daniel. I know its really too early to make a projection about who is going to be a finalist....but I have a feeling that Daniel will be one of them!! I also thought that Patricia had an amazing amount of craftmens ship in her work, especially for a Project Runway challenge. On the show, the designers have a time limit, so it is not every day that you see someone make such a detailed garment. Patricia's dress was white based. She cut out little squares and made a layered affect. One each square, she painted on a gary detailing and on the flip side, the fabric was blue. What she accomplished during one challenge deff shows a promising future for her on the show. My least favorite outfit on this team belonged to Michelle. It was the grayish green dress with the strapping and the random exposed pocket. I did not understand the pocket thing. Its just not practical to have a huge pocket outside of the dress that makes one hip look big. I also did not like the coloring. I thought that this dress was a little bit drab. Another design that I loved on this team was Amands's! She made a blue tank top and a whitish pair of pants. I thought that this outfit was really really cute! To me, this wasnt so much as like high society NYC as it was like the person visitng from another state. If I was visitng the city, I would wear this outfit anyday! Overall, I do think that this team embodied the challenge of NY inspired very well and I think that their craftmenship was overall very good. Nothing on this team looked unfinished or crafty from this side of the TV.

The Dream Team:  The designers on this team are Benjamin Mach., Cindy Marlett, Emily Pollard, James Martinez, Matthew Arthur, Michelle Lesniak Franlin, Samantha Black and  Tu Suthiwat Nakchat. Okay, lets jsut start off with this; The Dream Team was a disaster as a whole, but has two really fabulous looks and two very promising designers. My least favorite look on this team was Emily's. She had an illfitting body con skirt that was a grayish purple color with a waist band on the bottom. On the top... OY thats where the train wreck really starts...Emily made this flap halter top which tied in the back like a bikini. All od the semes were lumpy and she clearly ran out of time on the back. This is Project Runway, the designers should be at a higher skill level than that. To top off her look (or mabye to cover it up) She put a light blue overyaly thing on like a cape. I am not going to even go in to the problems with the detailing on this piece. Maybe Emily does have talent in there as a designer, I dont know, but honestly, I could make a better garment than she sent down the runway and I have only had my sewing machine for a year. Moving on, I actually disagree with the judges on Cindy's dress. She had a really pretty pattern that she made a mixi dress out of. Under the brest area, she put another patern to break up the origional flowy one. I really liked this actually. Was it 100% NYC inspired? I guess you could argue that it was not. Howevever, I think that part of going to the city is freely expressing who you are and her dress deff had charactor. Idk, I just really liked the pattern and it was well made so I dont think that it was as bad as the judges made it out to be. My favorite look on this team was probably Benjamin's. Benjamin made a short dress with a long train. He used like a tan and gray color sceme. The train was out a very sheer pretty material. The dress part was color blocked with tan and gray and on the shoulder, he had some sort of detailing. I really liked this dress. I thought that it was really inovative and different. I think that he also has a lot of promise and will last long on the show.

Okay that is about it for this week!! Sorry that I didnt review every designer this week. I will try to do that more as the show goes on and there are less designers and we get to know them a little bit beter. So, check back in a few days from my review of this weeks episode!!



***I am so glad that they did Season 11 right after All Stars and that they didnt wait until summer***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Series! Best Fit: Exercise and Eating Right

Hey Fashionistas! This series is all about getting healthy and staying healthy. Living a healthy lifestyle will not only make your clothing fit better, but it will make your personality fit better too. I am not a Health and Wellness coach, but I am a regular person (just like you) trying to be my best self. Exercising and eating right is often associated with weight loss. This series is not about weight (although we may address it from time to time). This series is about improving our physical and mental health together. The next post in this series will be the first "content post" back. If you have any topics you would like me to address, please comment down below and I will get back to you as soon as I can. xoxo ~ Glam-Forward ~

Best Fit: How to Start Your Fitness Journey

"Best Fit" Let's start our fitness journey! Incorporating fitness into your daily life is difficult. Life is full of wonderful things to do and it can be hard to prioritize being healthy. Today we are going to jump right in and start incorporating fitness into our daily lives.  *Disclaimer: I am neither a fitness expert nor a doctor. I am here to build a community, not give professional advise. Before beginning your fitness journey, check with your medical professionals to make sure you are physically healthy enough to complete any activities suggested. 1. Pick a time of day for your workout: Picking a time of day is a great first step in starting a healthier lifestyle. Putting it on your calendar (maybe even setting up a reminder notice) will help you hold yourself accountable. It will also remind you that you have set aside time that day to go to the gym so you do not double book yourself.  Personally, I prefer to work out in the late afternoon/ea

Project Runway 10-15-15 Recap Review

Previously on Project Runway: The designers gave members of the Project Runway crew a makeover. Hey guys! Welcome to this week's Project Runway Recap Review! We are getting closer and closer to fashion week each episode and the competition is getting tight. At this point, any of the designers could go home. Last week was packed with drama...but...its a new week, and a fresh slate, so lets get started. Challenge: The five remaining designers will make an outfit inspired by the New York City bridges (Queensborough, Brooklyn, Manhattan). The designers were assigned a bridge from the black bag of doom. Each designer created a textile with a 3-D printer that they had to incorporate into their garment. This is an Avant Garde challenge. Thoughts In The Workroom:  I'm not so sure what I think about 3-D printers...comment down below and let me know what you think about them (in general, not just in fashion). Candice made a good choice not using black again this week. Designers who