Skip to main content

2-14-13 Project Runway Season 11 Review!!

How appropriate that they arid the episode of the designers in the flower show on Valentines Day??? Planned? Who knows but still cute. Anyway, this week was my absolute favorite challenge, the unconventional one!! I love the unconventional challenges because they require the designers to be creative. Creativity is a necessity to be a good fashion  designer, so I always feel like this challenge separates the designers from the good seamstresses (if you know what I mean). This year there were a lot of high points. I do not feel like anyone had an outright disaster....well maybe there was one...but I think that for the most part they all made respectable dresses. The only thing that I have to say for this year's unconventional challenge was that there wasn't anything that was like a real "oh my god" for me. I feel like with the unconventional challenge, the opportunity to make something absolutely over the top that still looks wearable is given on a silver platter and this years designers just fell a tad bit short of that over the top fab. With that said, it was still a good runway show. Oh and a bit of a side note, Heidi's makeup was STUNNING this week!! She looked fabulous!!! Also, this post will not reveal any spoilers, as per usual, and these are completely my opinions, they do not necessarily channel what the judges thought.

Challenge: The teams had to create looks from materials from both a flower shop and a hard wear store.

Twist: This week, team Keeping It Real had to chose one member from the Dream Team to add to their team and the Dream Team had to chose two members of Keeping It Real to add to their team.

Team Keeping It Real: This team did anything but keep it real this week.
Patricia: Oh goodness. This dress looked like the flower shop threw up all over her model. I thought that she was headed in a good direction for most of it until it hit the runway. I loved her usage of that tan stuff and the metal spikes on the shoulders. If she had made the whole dress out of that, I would have loved it. However, she added all different types of flowers of all lengths down the front of it .To me it just looked a bit under designed. I didn't get the sense that Patricia really knew where she was headed with this dress. This is the unconventional challenge, the sky is the limit. However, I feel like she did not really take advantage of that opportunity as well as she could. I was actually surprised at Patricia's dress this week. From someone who is so creative, I was expecting something more thought out looking.

Kate: Kate's dress was stunning. I knew exactly where she was headed when she picked out that chicken wire. Kate's dress had a white top and then an ombre effect of pink flowers on the bottom. Under the dress, she had chicken wire so that the dress pooofed out that the bottom. This dress was very vintage and I absolutely loved that. Personally, I love dresses that are like old style princess dresses and that is exactly what this was so post to be. I love that Kate pressed on even though she had immunity this week. It really showed a lot about her character in a positive way. I deff think that she is off to a great start this season.

Daniel: Oy. This was in my opinion uh very unfortunate. Daniel's dress was white on the bottom and green on the top and in the center had what looked like it was so post to be a bow out of green and white. I am not entirely sure what materials he used, however, all I know is that there were to giant things on her mid-section that looked like eye-balls. The judges did not seem to criticize this dress, however, I did not like it at all. There is nothing flattering about having eyeballs on your waist! Daniel is one of the best designers this season so I can forgive him for this week...and I mean....I do see what he intended (I think) I just didn't like it personally.

Richard and Michelle: This look was easily one of my favorite ones on the runway this week. After much deliberation over what to make, the two decided to do a Madonna Esq bra top out of blinds, construct the whole silhouette out of blinds, and then fill in the bottom with flowers. To me, this dress did not look like it was made out of unconventional materials. It captured the challenge perfectly. This dress was the perfect combo of classy, sexy and unconventional that anyone would want in a dress. I really think that these guys outdid themselves this week. To me, this was one of the closer moments to WOW. I think that Michelle moving over to this team was good for her. She was constantly standing out amongst the designers in the other team. I think that being on this  team will now present her with a new challenge of standing out amongst other designers who have stood out in a positive way this season...and a challenge is always a good thing.

Joe: I actually disagree with the judges on this one. I really do not think that what he made was so bad. Did I love it? No. But was it bad? No. Joe tired to make an over sized sweater out of this gray stuff and flowers. Honestly, I think that if he had just used flowers and left the gray stuff out it would have captured what he wanted better. I just think that the gray part was a tad to hard to give off the over sized look. With that said, I do not think that it was so off base to deserve the raking that it got from the judges. I don't know what you guys think about it, but that's just my opinion.

Amanda: Amanda started out with a dress of moss with some silver bedazzle on the neck line. I loved this dress in that form. I thought that it absolutely captured the challenge. It was just stunning and flattering and looked like clothing. However, after going to bed and coming back, the moss was not working out (probs because it had not been kept moist over night). She ended up adding yellow and orange petals to it and some blue butonthings and gold bedazzle under the silver. Amanda's dress didn't fit well into the collection so they added the bedazzle. I don't think that was so much the issue as the petals were. They just did not look right. I felt bad that the dress did not turn out so well (I mean it was by no means horrible) just because she had such an amazing product the day before.

The Dream Team:
Benjamin: YAY! Ben finally came through with something good!! Like I said before, I really do want to like Benjamin, so I am glad that he finally made something good. Benjamin's dress was woven white at the top with pink and yellow flowers at the bottom. Lets just start out with the fact that in the little time that he had, he managed to build a weave (is that what you call it?? Correct me if I'm wrong) and weave his own material!! To have the time for that on Project Runway is a success on its own... not to mention that it came from the guy who has had time management problems in the past. I think that his dress this week was very cute and very fresh. I loved the youthfulness in it and that it kept up with the trends for this coming spring. Benjamin was another almost WOW for me. I really think that this was one of the best dresses this week and I hope that he continues upward from here.

Matt: I also really liked Matt's. The black and white rope top looked like it took so much time. It was exquisitely made and looked really good. The bottom yellow, I don't like yellow, but putting that aside, I think that it was very good. I honestly could not tell you what that was made out of but it deff looked like fabric. I am also happy to see him rising to the occasion because I really like Matt. I think that he seems like a nice guy who has a lot of potential and it was nice to see him make something really good this week.

Tu: I actually disagreed with the judges on this one. I did not really like it. Again, it was not horrible, but it was not good either. He made a tan top out of I don't know what and a petal bottom. The top wasn't bad. It looked well thought out and like it took a lot of time. My real issue wit this outfit was the bottom. The petals looked like they were about to fall off of the model! Also, I feel like anyone can make a petal skirt.This is the unconventional challenge, and although the material of a flower petal is unconventional, I don't think that his idea was. I don't know, it was just kind of disappointing to me considering the nature of this challenge.

Samantha: This dress was nice. The top was out of this white metal with cut outs and it had a peplum gray mesh with yellow flowers on the bottom. This was cute. It was original and it was well made. The bottom was that gray material with green flowers trapped between it. This gave an allusion that looked just like fabric!! The skirt I think was brilliant and I think that she would have had a really WOW moment if she had done the whole dress out of that. However, considering the final product, I think that Samantha's dress was just good instead of WOW, but still very good.

Lyanna: Lyanna continues to impress me every week. She made a stunning dress this week that moved very well considering what it was made out of. The top half was made out of two different materials and the bottom was a cage like brown mesh with flowers in certain parts. This dress was so elegant, you have to see it. I think that this dress was another one that really captured the challenge. It did not look the slightest bit crafty. Lyanna really has a good eye for design. So far, she has emerged as one of the front runners this season. If I had to make a prediction, we are going to be seeing a lot of her this season. What I also like about Lyanna, is that she has a clear perspective. I feel like alot of the designers have not presented a clear picture of who they are yet. However, Lyanna is elegant. Everything that she has made so far has been pretty and fashion forward and classy. I like that I know that about her because I feel like knowing a designer's style lets you know a bit more about their personality. I am excited to see what she makes from here forward.

Stanly: Another close to WOW. The top of his dress was made out of green petals and the bottom out of white. I do not think that this looked like it was made from flowers. Unlike Tu's skirt, the petals here were closer together and looked more secure. Was it a bit safe? I guess so. And the other thing was that I thought that it was a bit of an odd length. However, overall, I think it was cute and a really solid job for Stanly this week.

I think that is everyone!! It was much harder to keep up with new designers than All Stars! Lol, but I love it so its okay. If you have not seen this weeks episode yet, head on over to lifetime and check it out! You will absolutely not not not regret it ;)
Until next time,
xoxoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Series! Best Fit: Exercise and Eating Right

Hey Fashionistas! This series is all about getting healthy and staying healthy. Living a healthy lifestyle will not only make your clothing fit better, but it will make your personality fit better too. I am not a Health and Wellness coach, but I am a regular person (just like you) trying to be my best self. Exercising and eating right is often associated with weight loss. This series is not about weight (although we may address it from time to time). This series is about improving our physical and mental health together. The next post in this series will be the first "content post" back. If you have any topics you would like me to address, please comment down below and I will get back to you as soon as I can. xoxo ~ Glam-Forward ~

Best Fit: How to Start Your Fitness Journey

"Best Fit" Let's start our fitness journey! Incorporating fitness into your daily life is difficult. Life is full of wonderful things to do and it can be hard to prioritize being healthy. Today we are going to jump right in and start incorporating fitness into our daily lives.  *Disclaimer: I am neither a fitness expert nor a doctor. I am here to build a community, not give professional advise. Before beginning your fitness journey, check with your medical professionals to make sure you are physically healthy enough to complete any activities suggested. 1. Pick a time of day for your workout: Picking a time of day is a great first step in starting a healthier lifestyle. Putting it on your calendar (maybe even setting up a reminder notice) will help you hold yourself accountable. It will also remind you that you have set aside time that day to go to the gym so you do not double book yourself.  Personally, I prefer to work out in the late afternoon/ea

Project Runway 10-15-15 Recap Review

Previously on Project Runway: The designers gave members of the Project Runway crew a makeover. Hey guys! Welcome to this week's Project Runway Recap Review! We are getting closer and closer to fashion week each episode and the competition is getting tight. At this point, any of the designers could go home. Last week was packed with drama...but...its a new week, and a fresh slate, so lets get started. Challenge: The five remaining designers will make an outfit inspired by the New York City bridges (Queensborough, Brooklyn, Manhattan). The designers were assigned a bridge from the black bag of doom. Each designer created a textile with a 3-D printer that they had to incorporate into their garment. This is an Avant Garde challenge. Thoughts In The Workroom:  I'm not so sure what I think about 3-D printers...comment down below and let me know what you think about them (in general, not just in fashion). Candice made a good choice not using black again this week. Designers who