Skip to main content

2-8-13 Project Runway Season 11 Review

Hey guys! I want to start out just by saying that I am so sorry about not having a review for last weeks episode. I was wrapping up exam week at school and just could not find the time to sit down and write a good review for you guys. But I made sure that I would have time to write an extra special one this week to make up for it. Right now there is about six inches snow outside my house and I am sure that a bunch of you guys are snowed in too so I hope that you all stay warm and safe this weekend! With that I just want to mention as always that this review will contain any spoilers so if you have not watched this weeks episode yet, don't worry. Also, if you have not seen this weeks runway deff head over to Lifetime's website and check it out!! And as always, these are my opinions,they do not necessarily correspond with what the judges said or thought about the looks this week. Okay now lets get on that review.

Challenge: This week the designers had to design a dress for Heidi that went along with her new perfume. They were making two types of outfits, one for the red carpet and one for her to wear in commercial for her fragrance. 

Team Keeping it Real: This team had some really fabulous looks this week. 
Daniel: Daniel made a gold dress with black leather trimming. His dress had a very deep plunge and was body con from the waist to the hips and then flowed out with a slit up the front. The leather was placed along the neckline and under the bust area.This dress was very Heidi. I liked it. I think that it was very well thought out and that it really embodied his customer. Originally, he designed this dress for the Add. I don't think that it really went too well with her perfume bottle or packaging but it was still a good dress. It looked very high end and it really showed Daniel's ability as a designer. The only thing I really noticed about this dress was that there were a few puckers around the hip area but that is an easy fix. This was another solid week for Daniel. He is absolutely emerging as one of this weeks top designers.  *Side note...what was he wearing on his neck?? Antlers???  haha originality at its best*

Patricia: Okay, I love her need to make everything her  own and her brilliance in fabric manipulation. I really liked the concept. However, I was not the biggest fan of this dress. She cut little squares out of leather and sewed them onto a tan base. The top portion was in pink leather. This portion looked very complete and very unique. I would love to wear the top of this dress as a top. Where she went a little funky to me was on the bottom. Her squares got bigger and were gold. This looked a little strange to me. I did not like the harsh change from tiny squares to large ones. I feel like it should have gradually gotten bigger.  Below the gold was just plane tan fabric as she did not have enough leather to do the bottom portion.  This to me looked unfinished. Overall, I think that the idea was very good but it looked to JR for Heidi and it didn't really fit the challenge to me. 

Joseph and Amanda: This dress was decent. It was black with a gold pattern. It was cute and well made. I think that it can be found on any rack and was a bit too run of the mill for this challenge. With that said, ready to wear is a very appealing aspect in a designer. I think that this dress was a good outcome considering the designers inability to make a sound decision on what exactly to make. I really applaud them for coming to a peaceful compromise in their styles instead of fighting as we all know that I don't like drama. These guys will stick around on the show for a while.

Richard: What happened????? I absolutely love love love the fabric that he chose!! I also love the collar and the bodice. Where he went wrong was with the butt. Not girl wants to make their a** look huge. Heidi especially has mentioned many many times on Project Runway that executing the behind is not her favorite aesthetic. I really think that this dress had a lot of potential. Ditch the rooster butt and Richard may have had a winning dress. I know that he came to recognize the mistake when she walked the runway but I am shocked that he did not see it sooner. With that said, it is better to over design than to under design.

Kate and  Layana: This was my favorite outfit of the night. The girls made a black corset top that had ruffles on the front and a light pink undertone and a flowy skirt to the floor. I think that this dress really embodied the perfume bottle. It brought in all of its colors and its shape. In addition, the girls really took Heidi's fabulous body into consideration. This dress will really flatter her. Another perk about this dress is that it was really well made. The girls hit high end on the head. It was perfect and very editorial. When taking adds into consideration editorial is the most important thing..obviously. I loved how they really collaborated on this and that they both really believed in it. One of the best qualities in a designer is delf-confidence...especially on Project Runway....and I think that they both brought a lot of that this week.

Stanly: I don't really have much to say about this dress. It was gold with black shoulders and some detailing. I was really excited about this while Stanly was in the work room because the gold fabric was beautiful and just screamed Heidi. However, I think that the final design just looked a bit to average. I would have liked to see him make a long body con dress from this. *See Emilo's long sequin dress from his season*

The Dream Team: Should really be renamed the Nightmare. They have one good designer on their team who has not stepped into a leadership position. Seriously guys, follow the lead of the best designer on your team.
Benjamin: I really want to like Benjamin but so far I just cant. I understand that maybe he went through a rough time...but if it is still bothering him maybe he needs to talk to someone about it (even if it is a friend) instead of using it as an excuse for not getting his work done.Tough times can effect a person, I get that, but if it was really that bad still...maybe he auditioned for the show too soon. In general, I do not feel that Ben has good time management skills and I think that he comes up with too many excuses. First he was helping everyone else, then he took on  a leadership role now he has outside issues interfering? No, he just doesn't have time management skills. I think that if he starts to focus on his work HIS work and not everyone else's, he has potential. However, for this week, he really did not step up to the plate. His idea was decent and his sketch was stunning. BUT his dress...Oy....The girl had a braish top that was too small with not bones and construction to hold it up and a flowy bottom and was wrapped with material. At the level of Project Runway a designer should not have to resort to the wrap and tie method. It looked like a really unfortunate craft project. The poor model looked like a sausage. Also, there was clearly no construction in that dress, and if there was, it was not made correctly. I really don't know why he said that there was....and IF there was, unwrap her and show them! I am genuinely worried for Benjamin's future on the show.

Michelle: Michelle made a black boxy dress with a spaceish material on the shoulders. The fabric on this dress was not good. It looked cheap. Also, there are thousands of this dress on the wrack. In addition, you are designing for a supper model...show off her body? Honestly, this dress wasn't horrible but it wasn't good either. It sorta went with the challenge and sorta not. I would like to see Michelle bring more WOW factor to the table next week.

Matt: Piece of advice....don't admit that you were intimidated by designing for Heidi. I think that the worst thing that you can do on Project Runway is to admit a fault in your thinking. Admit a mistake in the construction of the garment? yes, but it does not show the judges promise to tell them that the client who you were designing for intimidated you.....especially when she is one of the judges. With that said, I really do like Matt as a designer. I think that he has a tone of potential . He is one of the younger designers this season and I am worried that the more experienced ones are going to eat him up. With that said, I really do think that we are going to see some fabulous work come from him this season. This week Matt went a little to sexual with his dress. It was a black mini with a leather strip up the front into a collar. When I saw it coming down the runway I started singing that song by Danity Kane..."Strip tease, sit please". Not very Heidi. However, at least he was thinking about the fragrance bottle in his use of the leather detailing.

Cindy: I think that she is the nicest lady!! Like seriously the kind of person you want to be around in a stressful situation. Unfortunately, I do not think that her dress measured up to her personality. Her design wasn't horrible actually. She did push herself by adding a slit down the bottom. It is always nice to see a designer take risks. However, the main problem here was the fabric. It was like prom dress gone wild. She chose this satin (I think) hot pink and orange marbled material. It honestly did not fit the challenge as was just a really poor choice in fabric.

Samantha: I actually really liked this dress. Samantha made a long black dress with a white panel on the top and some detailing on the shoulder. I thought that this dress was stunning. I liked how it gave an interesting shape to the body, but not in a bad way. I also liked how she embodied the challenge. A lot of the designers missed on this challenge but Samantha deff did not. I really think that she has shown a lot of promise as well so far. Samantha is deff the best designer on this team. I wish that she would pick up more of a leader position on the team because she  is on of their better designers.

Tu: I really liked this dress as well. I think that the cut outs on the side were very flattering. I also liked how the skirt poofed out from a line. Sorry that was a really bad description lol. Tu made a black dress with a collar, cut out sides and a very cool skirt that I cant really find the words to describe. You'll have to watch to see it ;) I really think that he did a good job this week. It was well made and very well adhered to the challenge. Like I do for Samantha, I wish that Tu would lead the team a bit more because I think he is another top designer on this team. Solid job this week. I think that he is going to last a while this season as well.

Okay I don't think that I forgot anyone! If I did I'm really sorry! Overall, I really enjoyed this week. Heidi challenges are in my book of favorite challenges. Why? Designing for celebrities is part of being a designer. I think that the way the designers handle the task and what they produce keeping their customer in mind (or not) shows a lot about them and kinda separates the good ones from the pack. Next week's challenges is my ALL TIME FAVORITE......UNCONVENTIONAL!! YAY!! I think this challenge is so fun and will deff be back with a review of it next week so check back soon!!! Until then,
xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Series! Best Fit: Exercise and Eating Right

Hey Fashionistas! This series is all about getting healthy and staying healthy. Living a healthy lifestyle will not only make your clothing fit better, but it will make your personality fit better too. I am not a Health and Wellness coach, but I am a regular person (just like you) trying to be my best self. Exercising and eating right is often associated with weight loss. This series is not about weight (although we may address it from time to time). This series is about improving our physical and mental health together. The next post in this series will be the first "content post" back. If you have any topics you would like me to address, please comment down below and I will get back to you as soon as I can. xoxo ~ Glam-Forward ~

Best Fit: How to Start Your Fitness Journey

"Best Fit" Let's start our fitness journey! Incorporating fitness into your daily life is difficult. Life is full of wonderful things to do and it can be hard to prioritize being healthy. Today we are going to jump right in and start incorporating fitness into our daily lives.  *Disclaimer: I am neither a fitness expert nor a doctor. I am here to build a community, not give professional advise. Before beginning your fitness journey, check with your medical professionals to make sure you are physically healthy enough to complete any activities suggested. 1. Pick a time of day for your workout: Picking a time of day is a great first step in starting a healthier lifestyle. Putting it on your calendar (maybe even setting up a reminder notice) will help you hold yourself accountable. It will also remind you that you have set aside time that day to go to the gym so you do not double book yourself.  Personally, I prefer to work out in the late afternoon/ea

Project Runway 10-15-15 Recap Review

Previously on Project Runway: The designers gave members of the Project Runway crew a makeover. Hey guys! Welcome to this week's Project Runway Recap Review! We are getting closer and closer to fashion week each episode and the competition is getting tight. At this point, any of the designers could go home. Last week was packed with drama...but...its a new week, and a fresh slate, so lets get started. Challenge: The five remaining designers will make an outfit inspired by the New York City bridges (Queensborough, Brooklyn, Manhattan). The designers were assigned a bridge from the black bag of doom. Each designer created a textile with a 3-D printer that they had to incorporate into their garment. This is an Avant Garde challenge. Thoughts In The Workroom:  I'm not so sure what I think about 3-D printers...comment down below and let me know what you think about them (in general, not just in fashion). Candice made a good choice not using black again this week. Designers who