Skip to main content

2-28-13 Project Runway Season 11 Review!!!

So sorry I am a bit later than usual with this!! I try to do my reviews as close to Thursday night after the episode as possible but sometimes things get a bit away from me. Anyway, before we get into the review, I wanted to talk ambiguously about who got eliminated this week. This is a no-spoiler blog so of course I will not mention the designer's name, however, I do not believe that this designer should have been eliminated. In my mind, there was one individual who's time on the show should have been up last week, yet they survived. I think that the designer who was eliminated has a ton of talent and potential and really did not have sufficient time on the show to display the depth of their ability. I wish this person the best of luck in their career, and think that the show will miss them. Okay, now onto the review.

Challenge: To create a dress of older women that represents the designer and is what the women want. The designers were in the same duo's as last week with the exception of one team who was of three due to the uneven number of designers.

Patricia, Layana, Michelle: Here we have the good, the fab and the ugly. So lets just go in order and take a look at these three girls looks. The "good" award, I will give to Layana. She made a pinkish and white patterned dress that had cap selves, a crew neck and a flowy skirt.  I think that this dress was decent. It was well made and Layana's costumer appeared to appreciate it. What prevents this dress from being a fab is the lines across the mid section. I think that they are a bit to clingy and show off an area of an older women that the women may not want to show. With that said, it is still a decent dress and I am sure that there are elderly women that would look fine in the dress despite the lines. Now onto the "fab" award. I gave this to Michelle. Michelle's dress was actually my one of my favorite outfit this week. She made red, white and green floral print dress with  a glittery belt. I think that this dress absolutely flattered her costumer. I loved how she made an elderly woman's figure look good. The dress did not work against the woman's figure in any way shape or form. I loved her use of color as it gave a young feel to the dress while remaining appropriate. I am so glad to see her finally come out on top of the pack. She has a lot of self-confidence and it was great to finally see her deliver. With the "good" and "fab" awards already given out, that means that the ugly goes to Patricia. This is a classic example of why I am iffy on the idea of teams. To me, this was the worst outfit of the night. Patricia made a cape, half blue and half cream with a bright deep blue skirt. Lets start with the top half, it looked very beginner...like something I would have turned out months ago. It did not flatter her woman and did not really look like she spent any time on it. I know that Patricia struggled this week, but seriously, if you are crunched for time, do not attempt something that is going to end up looking crafty. Project Runway lesson: if you are starting from scratch the day of the runway, go with a goddess dress. As for the bottom half of this outfit, I do not think that this was poorly made, but it did not go well with the top and it was not very figure flattering.

Benjamin and Amanda: Oy. Amanda had a train wreck this week. Her pattern was pretty, I will give her that. But the construction of the dress was a mess. She made a brightly patterned I don't know what dress this week. The scoop/V neckline was uneven, the flowy selves were over designed, and the skirt length was poorly executed. Honestly, the worst part of this dress was the back. She clearly made this skirt out of two pieces and tacked it together in the back last minuet. Either that, or the sewing machine got hungry and ate this dress for lunch. This was deff bottom two for me this week. Considering Amanda's poor performance on the show, I think that her days are well numbered. Onto Benjamin. Ben had the most personable client. I loved her! I don't think that this dress was as bad as the judges made it out to be. It looked like it was made of taffeta, and I personally am not a fan, but that's my only problem with the dress really. I know that it appeared a bit tight, but his client didn't think it was so I don't think it was fair for them to grill him on that. I loved how he showed her arms but covered them at the same time. It was very age appropriate.  What I loved the most about this dress was that Ben's client was very very happy and the dress still represented his elegant style. I could see several elderly women in this dress. I also liked the color. It  did not make her look washed out, but was not too bold either. I honestly didn't mind this look at all. I think that Benjamin finally found commonplace with this competition...and honestly, that is half the battle right there.

Richard and Stanly: I have got to say, this is my favorite team. I think that these guys work well alongside each other. Their personalities and design styles complement each other very will and they both represent themselves well. I think that they are slightly quite personalities for the TV, but on Project Runway, there is always room for a dark horse or two. I am going to start off with Richard. I thought that this dress was okay. It was turquoise on one side and black on the other with a little cinched in waist. I loved his idea of dressing it down and adding leggings and boots...but I wish he had shown it like that. As a dress, I think it would be a cute, casual spring/summer dress. Stanly's I loved. I liked how he made separates. The designers tend to gravitate toward dresses due to the time constraints of the challenges. It is always refreshing to see separates, 1 because it is something different, and 2 because it shows that the designer really knows what they are doing. Stanly made a Navy suite jacket with a sweetheart neckline shirt and A-line pant and a sparkly belted waist. His woman had a fabulous figure and he really showed that well. I loved the sophistication of his look. My only problem with it was the pant length and the wrinkly pleats. Pleats are not that difficult, I don't really understand what happened there. As far as the length goes, I just personally do not like that length. If you are making pants, the legs should go all the way down to the floor. If you are making Capri's, they should come right under the leg. Not that weird length in between. I don't know, that just my opinion. What do you guys think?? But honestly, it is not a big deal. His outfit was still really sheik looking and absolutely fabulous.

Kate and Tu:  Oh boy here we go. Tu is a mighty character. He honestly one of the most entertaining designers this season. As for his outfit, I call it a hot mess. First off, his customer was not pleased with the outcome. That should honestly say it all right there. But I will say one other thing, Tu made an unclosed green dress and belted it with a brown braided belt. It is not practical to wear a garment that falls off the second the belt comes undone. I can not believe that a designer at this level would send that down the runway. To me that screams 'manage your time better hun".  That's about all I can really say for Tu this week. Oh and side note, I did really love the color of the fabric that he chose. Okay now onto Kate. I was a bit surprised at what she sent down the runway. She made a black top and a floral pleated skirt. It did not seem very her (then again, I am not entirely sure I know who she is yet) but it wasn't totally off base. It still had her girly vibe but was everything the client wanted. I think that her woman looked stunning and happy in what  Kate made. Her outfit really could be worn by almost anyone of that age and look good on her. I give her major credit for that. Was it WOW, no, but when doing a real world challenge, sometimes understated is the best way to go.

Samantha and Daniel: Hmm usually I start with these guys!! Oh well, nothing like a change of pace ;) I am going to start with Samantha because it was my favorite look of the night. In my elderly days, this is the dress I want to wear. She made a high waisted leopard print skirt with a yellow top and a black bow. Now, you guys should all know by now how I feel about yellow....and I still liked this dress.  I loved the edginess that it gave to an elderly woman. I think that her woman had a fierce personality and the dress fit her perfectly. I loved the combination of the princess puffy selves with the tight skirt!! I completely disagree with the judges critique on this dress. I don't think it was too youthful at all and I absolutely loved it. It was very Betsy Johnson esq and I thought that was absolutely amazing! Daniel's outfit I did not like so much. The judges did, but it just did not hit home for me. The black blazer and pants and blue shirt were nice but they were very run of the mill. There are millions of black pants suits out there. I also didn't think that the blazer fit too well. It looked like it was pulling a bit. I think that it was too average for him. Daniel has produced some very high end looking stuff this season, and although it was well made, it still was not up to par with his usual standard.

ANNNND that's a wrap for this week! Check back next week for a review of Thursday's episode :) And as always, these are just my opinions, they do not necessiarly correspond with the Judges. If you have not seen this week's episode of Project Runway and are intrigued, head on over to their website and give it a watch. I promise you it will be worth it.
xoxoxo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Series! Best Fit: Exercise and Eating Right

Hey Fashionistas! This series is all about getting healthy and staying healthy. Living a healthy lifestyle will not only make your clothing fit better, but it will make your personality fit better too. I am not a Health and Wellness coach, but I am a regular person (just like you) trying to be my best self. Exercising and eating right is often associated with weight loss. This series is not about weight (although we may address it from time to time). This series is about improving our physical and mental health together. The next post in this series will be the first "content post" back. If you have any topics you would like me to address, please comment down below and I will get back to you as soon as I can. xoxo ~ Glam-Forward ~

Best Fit: How to Start Your Fitness Journey

"Best Fit" Let's start our fitness journey! Incorporating fitness into your daily life is difficult. Life is full of wonderful things to do and it can be hard to prioritize being healthy. Today we are going to jump right in and start incorporating fitness into our daily lives.  *Disclaimer: I am neither a fitness expert nor a doctor. I am here to build a community, not give professional advise. Before beginning your fitness journey, check with your medical professionals to make sure you are physically healthy enough to complete any activities suggested. 1. Pick a time of day for your workout: Picking a time of day is a great first step in starting a healthier lifestyle. Putting it on your calendar (maybe even setting up a reminder notice) will help you hold yourself accountable. It will also remind you that you have set aside time that day to go to the gym so you do not double book yourself.  Personally, I prefer to work out in the late afternoon/ea

Project Runway 10-15-15 Recap Review

Previously on Project Runway: The designers gave members of the Project Runway crew a makeover. Hey guys! Welcome to this week's Project Runway Recap Review! We are getting closer and closer to fashion week each episode and the competition is getting tight. At this point, any of the designers could go home. Last week was packed with drama...but...its a new week, and a fresh slate, so lets get started. Challenge: The five remaining designers will make an outfit inspired by the New York City bridges (Queensborough, Brooklyn, Manhattan). The designers were assigned a bridge from the black bag of doom. Each designer created a textile with a 3-D printer that they had to incorporate into their garment. This is an Avant Garde challenge. Thoughts In The Workroom:  I'm not so sure what I think about 3-D printers...comment down below and let me know what you think about them (in general, not just in fashion). Candice made a good choice not using black again this week. Designers who