Skip to main content

3-28-13 Project Runway Season 11 Review!!!

Hey Guys!!! Okay, first I just want to say thank you to you guys because I reached over 1000 views today which I was not ever expecting and think is absolutely crazy!!! I just wanted to say thanks for tuning in and supporting me!! I love you all <33333 Now, onto this week's Project Runway Review!! This week's teams were pairs of two and as promised, I will be taking a look at what each designer did. Like usual, this post will not contain any spoilers and may or may not correspond with what the judges said as these are all my own opinions.
Challenge: This week was the HP and Intel Fabric design challenge. The designers were taken to an art meusame for inspiration. They had to make on practical look and one run-way aven garde, wearable art look.

Pairs:
1.) Richard and Patricia
2.)Daniel and Layanna
3.) Michelle and Stanley

Layanna: I am starting with Layanna because I was really disappointed with her this week. She has put out some fabulous stuff this season, but this week she was an emotional mess. Everyone has their bad days and things go on in our lives that get in the way, if that was the case....I wish that she would have explained what was going on. Her lack of explanation really made her look like she was having a childish tempertantrom. That is not attractive on national television. I feel like she was too a mess for that to have really been the case, but she did not explain her behavior adequately so that is honestly what she came off looking like and that was hard to watch. As for her dress, I did not think that it was as bad as the judges did. Her print was black, gray and electric green. I thought that the pattern was cool because it grabbed your eye without being obnoxious. She made a mermaid style dress with black embellishments that winded (is that a word?) around the dress. I really liked this actually. I think that it was aven garde enough and it was interesting to look at. To me, this look did say wearable art. It was a bit of a Hodge podge of material but that is what gave it the wearable art look that was asked for in the challenge.

Daniel: I think that Daniel handled his crying partner very well this week. As for his look?? The judges loved it but I say that it was okay. The black blazer that he made was stunning...however....we have seen way to many of this blazer from Daniel this season. Would I buy this if it was in a store?? Absolutely! I just feel that at this point in the competition, it is time to see something else from him. The skirt he made, was out of his print which was the same print as Layanna's. I liked how he made the background of the print gray instead of white. I could not tell if he printed it that way or if he put something over top of it, but I think that the muted tone of the print made it more wearable. I also think it added something to the print. The pattern of the print was very good but I have to say, it did look better on the gray than on the white. Do I hate this look?? No way, I just was not completely wowed with this look as we have seen similar things from Daniel before. I have got to say, I think that Daniel is one of the designers that we could see all the way down to the wire if not in the final. He has deff showed a specific style and there is deff a place for him in the industry.

Patricia: I don't even know where to start with this look! Patricia's look was like the ace bandage meets Ms. Havasham. Her print was black, red, yellow and white. She made a long skirt for the bottom. This part was not so bad. The disaster was on top. She basically wrapped the fabric around her model's body and arms and saussaged her in and sewed her up. To me, this is not craftsmanship. I was shocked that this is what Patricia, the queen of textiles, put out on the textile challenge. The print was very good, but the bandied dress was not. To top this all off, she gave the girl a veil which covered her face. This I think is a great idea and could make for an interesting, mysterious outfit or collection. However, I did not think that it matched the outfit. It did look like wearable art, but I just feel like it did not match the dress all that well. Honestly, I applaud Patricia's creativity 100% of the time. It is nice to see that in a designer. I just wish that this week turned out a bit different for her. (I mean the judges liked it, but she could have had a wow moment instead of just a moment.)

Richard: Here lies the nightmare of the night. Richard's skirt was not well made at all. The pleating was chewed up and spit out. I have no idea what happened here, but it was not good news. He made a white pleated skirt with a buckle. If you just looked at it from the front, it was cute. But from the back??? It was a sewing disaster! His top was out of the print and honestly was not that bad. In addition to the poorly made skirt, the two pieces did not match at all. Richard was having a bit of trouble collecting his ideas for this challenge, and it showed. He spent hours making a bracelet that he did not even send down the runway. Richard really seemed defeated by this challenge. I don't know if it was his partnership with Patricia or if he was just tired or what, but something was not clicking. I was really hoping that he would do a Casanova and take a nap and turn out something amazing after...but no such luck. I really do think that Richard is a good designer. I think that he should have stayed in the world of Jersey this week and just done a different design with it. The problem was not that he was using the same material over and over again as it was that he was making the same dress over and over again. Project Runway survival skill: Stick with what you are good at, just change the design so you do not look one dimensional.

Stanley: I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS PRINT!!! Okay, I know that Michelle drew it but still. Stanley made a long poofy dress out of the print with a black area above the bust. I generally do not like this siloutte, however, for this challenge, it was perfect. I have seen countless people in the silloutte of this dress. Another thing, I loved how this dress was a bit aven garde but still wearable. To me, that is the opitimy of Project Runway. What makes something truly successful on this show is that it can be sent down the runway or worn tomorrow. This season, we have not seen too many outfits that are up to par with Project Runway standards. Honestly, I think we have the team style to fault for that. However, Stanley's dress this week was right up there with the usual Project Runway greatness. I 100% predict that Stanley will be in the final. To me, he is the sneaker upper this season. Almost every season, there is at least one person who is quieter in the beginning and sneaks up and makes it to the final. This season, that is Stanley. In my opinion, he even stands a good chance at winning. Hopefully, I am not wrong.

Michelle: Michelle's dress was the winning look in my eyes. The front of it was bubble wrap and it had a green coat thing and the print in the skirt and a green head piece and AH it was just fabulous. This absolutely ranks up there with the best of the best of the best of Project Runway!!! The print that she created was ingenious and the way she used it was fabulous and everything about this look was perfect!! I love Michelle's edgy style. It is totally different from everyone else this season. I also like her personality as it is presented. I think that she has a really good grip on how to handle what is going on. She knows how to work the teams without getting to involved in the drama. Another great thing about Michelle is that she manages to make something that represents her each week regardless of the other designers that she is paired with. I loved her look this week! It was wearable art at its best!! I hope that we get to see more innovations like this from her for the rest of the season. I would gamble and say that she is my pick as the winner this season. She had a rocky start, but she has really been taking off the past few weeks!! Bravo Michelle!!

And that concludes this week's Project Runway review!!! If you have not seen the episode yet, I highly recommend that you head on over to lifetime and check it out!! This week was a really great one that you will not not not want to miss.
xoxoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Series! Best Fit: Exercise and Eating Right

Hey Fashionistas! This series is all about getting healthy and staying healthy. Living a healthy lifestyle will not only make your clothing fit better, but it will make your personality fit better too. I am not a Health and Wellness coach, but I am a regular person (just like you) trying to be my best self. Exercising and eating right is often associated with weight loss. This series is not about weight (although we may address it from time to time). This series is about improving our physical and mental health together. The next post in this series will be the first "content post" back. If you have any topics you would like me to address, please comment down below and I will get back to you as soon as I can. xoxo ~ Glam-Forward ~

Best Fit: How to Start Your Fitness Journey

"Best Fit" Let's start our fitness journey! Incorporating fitness into your daily life is difficult. Life is full of wonderful things to do and it can be hard to prioritize being healthy. Today we are going to jump right in and start incorporating fitness into our daily lives.  *Disclaimer: I am neither a fitness expert nor a doctor. I am here to build a community, not give professional advise. Before beginning your fitness journey, check with your medical professionals to make sure you are physically healthy enough to complete any activities suggested. 1. Pick a time of day for your workout: Picking a time of day is a great first step in starting a healthier lifestyle. Putting it on your calendar (maybe even setting up a reminder notice) will help you hold yourself accountable. It will also remind you that you have set aside time that day to go to the gym so you do not double book yourself.  Personally, I prefer to work out in the late afternoon/ea

Project Runway 10-15-15 Recap Review

Previously on Project Runway: The designers gave members of the Project Runway crew a makeover. Hey guys! Welcome to this week's Project Runway Recap Review! We are getting closer and closer to fashion week each episode and the competition is getting tight. At this point, any of the designers could go home. Last week was packed with drama...but...its a new week, and a fresh slate, so lets get started. Challenge: The five remaining designers will make an outfit inspired by the New York City bridges (Queensborough, Brooklyn, Manhattan). The designers were assigned a bridge from the black bag of doom. Each designer created a textile with a 3-D printer that they had to incorporate into their garment. This is an Avant Garde challenge. Thoughts In The Workroom:  I'm not so sure what I think about 3-D printers...comment down below and let me know what you think about them (in general, not just in fashion). Candice made a good choice not using black again this week. Designers who