Skip to main content

The Prom Problem: Dresses

Previously on The Prom Problem: I talked about shape wear, stockings and men's underwear. My theme was pretty much that there is no shame in making yourself look and feel good. Oh and also guys....pull up your pants.
This week on The Prom Problem: We will be talking about DRESSES!!!! LETS GOOOOOOOO

YAY LETS TALK DRESSES!!! Guys, this is my favorite part about Prom!!! And I promised you that I would share my prom details....soooo..... I got my dress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is all orange lace with a champagne undertone and it has a slit that goes all the way up and it is strapless and floor length!!! I was looking at dresses online at Nordstrom and I saw this one and fell absolutely in love!! The measurements of it in my size were exactly me and it fit like a glove...it was almost too easy. Of course it needs a bit of alterations, I mean, any long dress on me would need an alteration haha But honestly, it made the whole thing real. I am SO excited for prom now!!! I also got my date sooo...you know what????? I am going to do a special post in this series for all of my prom stuff so far so that you guys can see what I am up to and maybe get some ideas for yourself (but if you go to my school, please don't steal my dress! haha).
The prom dress is honestly half the excitement for girls going to prom, or for any guys who want to wear a dress (And I honestly mean that, if you are a guy and you want to wear a dress to prom, go for it!! Its a special night and you should be you. There is nothing wrong with that!). Prom dresses tend to all look the same so the trick is to find something that looks good on your body, is different than all of the other dresses, and is still appropriate for the event. Today, I am going to talk about some of the Dress trends for this prom season that, if you don't want to look like the crowed, you may want to steer clear of. At the bottom of this post, I will give you guys some links to fabulous dress stores and designers to give you a head start on finding the perfect dress. So with out further a do, lets get into itttttt....

1.) The Sea Of Blue:
Okay guys, I know that everyone loves blue and everyone loves mint/sea foam green. Seriously, mint is one of my favorite colors for this spring! But for prom, blue and sea foam are big no no's. Most of the popular prom dresses this season are blue or that minty color. Honestly, color is one of the most important aspects of the dress. If the color looks like everyone else's color, than you are automatically going to blend right into the crowed. When I went looking for my dress, I stayed 110% away from anything in the blue and mint green family, and like I said, I love that mint color.

2.) All That Glitters Is Boobs:
Another trend for this prom season is glitter on the chest area. Now you guys know that I love glitter and it makes me so happy...but I stayed away from it for prom. A tone of dresses this year have glitter on the breast area and then a plain skirt that goes to the floor. I really have not found too many of these dresses outstanding. Honestly, glitter can make an outfit, but I feel like with this style it dose not do much. It also just screams prom and the key to an purchasing an outstanding dress for the special night is not to buy a prom dress but to buy a dress for prom. This styling is deff very prom dress.

3.) Only One Shoulder Is Sexy:
Many of this years dresses are one shoulder. Usually, the strap is the decorated part and the rest of the dress is just plain jane material. This style dress is hard to work. I have seen more than my share of girls in one shoulder dresses who are just absolutely drowning in their dress! Like I said before, part of buying a dress is knowing what looks good on your body. If the detailing on the shoulder strap contains a lot of material and the dress is floor length and you are not tall, you will be taking a bath in your dress.....especially if it is blue. Again, when everyone has a one shoulder dress, it does not matter how pretty yours is...you will fade into the background.

4.) High School Kids Don't Get Married
White. Do not do it. That is all I have to say. Long white dresses are for getting married in. Not all white dresses are labeled "wedding gown" but seriously, it will just look like you went shopping in the bridal department. I really do not have much else to say about that haha.

5.) The Skirt Is Most Of The Dress
A huge trend this prom season is decorated skirts. Most of the dress is the skirt, and it should be pretty! That's not to say that plain material is not pretty...but everyone will be wearing it. If you want to stand out and have a unique dress, look for one that some detailing on the skirt. And remember, short is not the status quo for prom but there is nothing wrong with it!

I hope that those few popular trends for prom can help guide you in your dress decision this year!! Now, I know that I geared this post toward buying something original, but if you want to look like the crowed, that is fine. Some people do not like to draw attention to themselves via  fashion. If that is you, I hope that this post helped you as well. Soooooooo leave me a comment below with any other trends you notice this season and of corse...pictures of your dresses!!!! I would love to see what you guys picked out and will show you mine in the next episode of The Prom Problem!!! :)
xoxoxox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Series! Best Fit: Exercise and Eating Right

Hey Fashionistas! This series is all about getting healthy and staying healthy. Living a healthy lifestyle will not only make your clothing fit better, but it will make your personality fit better too. I am not a Health and Wellness coach, but I am a regular person (just like you) trying to be my best self. Exercising and eating right is often associated with weight loss. This series is not about weight (although we may address it from time to time). This series is about improving our physical and mental health together. The next post in this series will be the first "content post" back. If you have any topics you would like me to address, please comment down below and I will get back to you as soon as I can. xoxo ~ Glam-Forward ~

Best Fit: How to Start Your Fitness Journey

"Best Fit" Let's start our fitness journey! Incorporating fitness into your daily life is difficult. Life is full of wonderful things to do and it can be hard to prioritize being healthy. Today we are going to jump right in and start incorporating fitness into our daily lives.  *Disclaimer: I am neither a fitness expert nor a doctor. I am here to build a community, not give professional advise. Before beginning your fitness journey, check with your medical professionals to make sure you are physically healthy enough to complete any activities suggested. 1. Pick a time of day for your workout: Picking a time of day is a great first step in starting a healthier lifestyle. Putting it on your calendar (maybe even setting up a reminder notice) will help you hold yourself accountable. It will also remind you that you have set aside time that day to go to the gym so you do not double book yourself.  Personally, I prefer to work out in the late afternoon/ea

Project Runway 10-15-15 Recap Review

Previously on Project Runway: The designers gave members of the Project Runway crew a makeover. Hey guys! Welcome to this week's Project Runway Recap Review! We are getting closer and closer to fashion week each episode and the competition is getting tight. At this point, any of the designers could go home. Last week was packed with drama...but...its a new week, and a fresh slate, so lets get started. Challenge: The five remaining designers will make an outfit inspired by the New York City bridges (Queensborough, Brooklyn, Manhattan). The designers were assigned a bridge from the black bag of doom. Each designer created a textile with a 3-D printer that they had to incorporate into their garment. This is an Avant Garde challenge. Thoughts In The Workroom:  I'm not so sure what I think about 3-D printers...comment down below and let me know what you think about them (in general, not just in fashion). Candice made a good choice not using black again this week. Designers who