Skip to main content

The Prom Problem: Shape Wear, Stockings and Mens Undergarments (Clean)

Previously on the Prom Problem: I talked about underwear and gave a few different options on how to avoid underwear lines on the big day.
Today, I am going to be talking about a few different things. All of them are equally important, but they all kind of go together so I decided to do them in one collective post. Since I do have allot to talk about, I am not going to give any more of an intro soooo...lets get started.

1.) Shape-Wear:
Ladies and Gents, there is no shame in wearing shape wear. Nobody is Barbie or Ken. If you think that you will look better in your dress or suite if you wear shape wear...DO IT!! There is not screaner at the door to patt you down and announces whether or not you are wearing shape wear. There are a million different items that you can wear to inhance your body and make you look fabulous. I am sure that you are all fabulous already, but why not make yourself feel amazing?? I know that someone will have something to say about this...but I do not for the life of me understand why people think that everyone should show their natural self, be it by not wearing shape-wear or not wearing makeup. I also do not understand why people think that altering the natural being means that you are insecure about yourself. Maybe to some people it does, but to some...it dose not. Yes, everyone has some degree of natural beauty...but everyone can look better than thair base line by enhancing themselves. Wearing shape-wear does not necessiarly mean that you do not like your body or that you are insecure.Gosh, if everyone who wore spandex under a dress was insecure, the world would never go round!! Wearing shape-wear just simply means that you want to look your best for a special occasion so you went that extra mile. That is why there is no shame in it. Guys, if you have man boobs, wear an undershirt!! There is nothing wrong with that.  It will just enhance your body. Okay, enough ranting, lets get onto the products. Two commonly worn shape-wear items are spanx and spandex. Number one question about these items is "are they different??" And the answer is yes.

Spanx vs Spandex:  Spanx are more like a modern day corset than spandex. The most popular kind of spanx are the long shorts with the really high Waist. The change over from corsets to spanx was a result of the women's rights movement. Back in the olden days, women were so post to be modest and they were so post to look their best to be arm candy for their husbands to show off. Their tight corsets in a way symbolized the confinement they had to their role in society. As their place in society changed, so did their shape-wear. When women began to live more active lives, the constraints of the corset became inconducive to their lives. Thus, they garment changed. The spanx was the result of women wanting more freedom in their body. It allows women to move well while holding everything in place. Spandex on the other hand, is an even looser material. Spandex is used more to even things out and prevent things from showing. For example; when wearing a short dress or mini-skirt, one might choose to wear a pair of spandex shorts underneath to insure that their underwear never makes a public appearance. Spandex is a material that is stretchy and tight to the skin. This allows it to be worn under clothing without being seen...unless of course you wear hot pint spandex shorts with a white skirt....Spandex is also used to make shirts and socks and pants and even some sports bra's. This material is great for athletic clothing as it clings to the body so it does not get in the athlete's way and it is easy to move in. If you are looking to suck in under your prom dress, I would recommend going for spanx over spandex. However, if you buy a short prom dress, investing in a pair of spandex shorts would not be a  bad idea if you are concerned about bending over.

Another type of shape-wear is the full body suite. This item is made from stocking material. They come in different sleeve and leg lenght. This item is a good all-over sucker inner. Nothing is goina bounce around in one of these. Another great function of this is that the legs serve as stockings. I discovered these while dancing in a show when we had to get nudy-judies (tan leotards that are invisible in a costume so that when you have to change for competition in a gym with a million other people you are not naked). I wore my nudy-judy from competition but one of the other girls purchased a body suit so that she would only have to wear one item instead of the tan leo and stockings. This is a major convince unless you need to use the bathroom. Another perk to the body suite is that it has that build in under-wear like stockings so you automatically do not have to worry about underwear lines (and if you are having underwear problems...check out the last episode of The Prom Problem).

This next type of shape wear is the least common......corsets. I happen to think that they are stunning and absolutely figure flattering to everyone...but I know...they are uncomfortable. A lot of dresses now in days are either boned on the sides or are corset style all together. However, if you think that your dress would hold a better shape with a corset, wear one. I know they seem ancient but you can still find them lurking around places. This is not a solution to everyone but they do look stunning and I am really just including this to say that if you want to wear one go for it girl!!

The bootie bump. Lets face it, we all do not have big butts. Some of barley have a behind at all. If you have the saggs in the back of your prom dress (or guys if your having the sags in your suit) You may want to invest in a but pad. I do not know what the technical name for it is, but it is basically padding on the bum to make it look bigger. Again, no one will know that you are wearing it so, it you are looking to give a bit more perk to your backside, wear the shape-wear with pride! I have actually never tried this item so if you go for it, leave me a comment below and let me know how it works out!


2.) Stockings:
Stockings are either a girls best friend or worst enemy. Personally, I am not not not a fan. I do not think that there is anything more uncomfortable than stockings...but as we all know, sometimes pain goes hand and hand with beauty (okay maybe that is a bit extreme but you know what I mean). When looking at stockings,there are a million gazillion different types to choose from. I recommend the control top tights. There is nothing worse than having to pull up your tights all night long. Control top tights are guaranteed to stay up thought all of Prom so that you do not have to worry about whats down below. I have worn these before and they really do work. I deff do not recommend purchasing tights without the control top. Another type of stocking is the dance tight. I really do not think that these are appropriate for prom. Out of all the stockings in the world, they are my favorite but they are thick and weirdly colored so if you are considering wearing your dance tights with your dress, you might want to re-consider. Tights come in all different models and brands. Some are full length, some convertible, and some caff-length. For prom I recommend full length tights. I think that it just looks best to carry out the look from top to bottom so to speak rather than cutting it off. Also, having footed tights will help prevent blisters. Obviously they will not protect against a really really bad pair of shoes but at least there will be a lawyer of material between your foot and the shoe. Girls, this is prom. Prom is classy. Not wearing tights is not very classy. Therefore, you should really wear them to prom. It is just not appropriate to leave them out of the equation. So go ahead and purchase a pair! When in doubt with color, go skin toned. I think that skin tone tights are very classy and elongate your legs and make you look taller. Also, tights have a tendency to rip. It is always a good idea to buy an extra pair to have in case your rip them while putting them on. Okay you may be like "how do you do that?? And I can honestly say I don't know but there was one time that I literally went through 2 pairs of tights a day for a show because my thumbs went right thought them when I pulled them up. That brings me to my next point. Buy a quality pair of tights. Do not get ones from Forever 21. Go to a nicer store with better quality and buy a pair, hopefully this will prevent runners. I am going to do a Prom Problem episode on hand bags and what to put in them but I am just going to mention one little item here. Always make sure to have some clear nail polish at hand just in case you get a runner you can dab some on to stop it from getting worse.

3.)Men's Undergarments:
I am not a guy so I do not know a tremendous amount about men's underwear...but what I do know....is that I don't want to see your spider mans on prom day! It amazes me that guys today walk around with their boxers sticking out. The pants on the ground look originated from prison. So basically, if you want around with you banana bottoms sticking out your saying that you look to prisoners for fashion inspiration...not the impression you were going for right?? I wish I did not have to include this here but sadly, I feel the need to say it. Prom is a classy event and it is the opposite of classy to have your boxers sticking out of your suit!! Again, I have no idea how any of this fits, but I do know that if fitting the boxers under pants is a problem WEAR TIGHTY WHITIES! I feel like this is good every day advise too. No one is going to be attracted to you if you walk around with the underwear sticking out. I know that some guys this that tighty whities are not manly, but honestly, I do not know what is less manly than saying "hey guys I'm channeling the jail birds."Seriously, no one is going to judge you for not wearing boxers....especially for prom...so take care of the issue and invest in a good pair of underwear that will not stick out the top of your pants. Also, if you have man boobs and do not want them showing through your shirt, wear an undershirt!! No shame there either.

So basically, this post's theme is more or less do what you feel you need to do to look and feel you best and have no shame in your underwear. I hope that you guys found this post helpful. Again, if you have any requests for this series...leave them below. Next time on The Prom Problem, we will be talking about my favorite part of Prom...The Dress!!!!! Check back soon :)
xoxoxoxo

Comments

  1. Shapewear for women is smartly built to goal problem areas of the entire body such as undesired fats around the midsection, again or perhaps thighs. For more information on shapewear for women, check out my site: http://simplyshapewear.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I came across your post when I was researching undergarments to put on under my prom dress, I have a satin flowy prom dress that is likely to press against my body and show some bumps and things that I don't want to show ! haha, I was wondering if you have any opinions on a specific something to hold everything in place for the big day! I look forward to hearing your answer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for your comment! I would recommend picking up a pair of Spanx. Spanx usually are the best to smooth everything out in my opinion. My favorite are the High-Waisted Mid-Thigh nude colored ones. But they also come in black. If you do not like those and have sleeves on your dress, you could go for the Open-Bust Mid-Thigh ones. They come in both nude and black as well. But I would try the plain shorts style ones first. Hope this helps! I am sure you are going to look amazing!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Series! Best Fit: Exercise and Eating Right

Hey Fashionistas! This series is all about getting healthy and staying healthy. Living a healthy lifestyle will not only make your clothing fit better, but it will make your personality fit better too. I am not a Health and Wellness coach, but I am a regular person (just like you) trying to be my best self. Exercising and eating right is often associated with weight loss. This series is not about weight (although we may address it from time to time). This series is about improving our physical and mental health together. The next post in this series will be the first "content post" back. If you have any topics you would like me to address, please comment down below and I will get back to you as soon as I can. xoxo ~ Glam-Forward ~

Best Fit: How to Start Your Fitness Journey

"Best Fit" Let's start our fitness journey! Incorporating fitness into your daily life is difficult. Life is full of wonderful things to do and it can be hard to prioritize being healthy. Today we are going to jump right in and start incorporating fitness into our daily lives.  *Disclaimer: I am neither a fitness expert nor a doctor. I am here to build a community, not give professional advise. Before beginning your fitness journey, check with your medical professionals to make sure you are physically healthy enough to complete any activities suggested. 1. Pick a time of day for your workout: Picking a time of day is a great first step in starting a healthier lifestyle. Putting it on your calendar (maybe even setting up a reminder notice) will help you hold yourself accountable. It will also remind you that you have set aside time that day to go to the gym so you do not double book yourself.  Personally, I prefer to work out in the late afternoon/ea

Project Runway 10-15-15 Recap Review

Previously on Project Runway: The designers gave members of the Project Runway crew a makeover. Hey guys! Welcome to this week's Project Runway Recap Review! We are getting closer and closer to fashion week each episode and the competition is getting tight. At this point, any of the designers could go home. Last week was packed with drama...but...its a new week, and a fresh slate, so lets get started. Challenge: The five remaining designers will make an outfit inspired by the New York City bridges (Queensborough, Brooklyn, Manhattan). The designers were assigned a bridge from the black bag of doom. Each designer created a textile with a 3-D printer that they had to incorporate into their garment. This is an Avant Garde challenge. Thoughts In The Workroom:  I'm not so sure what I think about 3-D printers...comment down below and let me know what you think about them (in general, not just in fashion). Candice made a good choice not using black again this week. Designers who