Skip to main content

The Prom Problem: Dress Styles 2014!

Previously on The Prom Problem: I included links to last years episodes
Today on The Prom Problem: I am going to talk dress styles and where to purchase a killer dress.

Hey guys! Styles in the last year have changed dramatically. Women and men are both finally parting with their skinny jeans, and the ribbed tank, booty shorts, mini skirt days of the 2000's have passed. Heading into the middle of this decade (the teens?) styles are heading more toward the eighties (who would have thought?). With the change in every day styles comes a change in Prom Dresses! Last year featured a firm, sweetheart top with a straight skirt and some glitzy detailing on the top. This year, we are looking at a slightly different aesthetic.

Neckline and Straps:
Like I said, last season was the season of sweetheart. Although they are still popular, this years dresses favor a fuller neckline. Straps are back in style as are halters. Many of the dresses that I have seen for the season feature two medium to thickish in with, that donor cross in the back. Both the scoop neck and the deep V are usually in conjunction with that strapping. I have also seen lots of halter styles that are Baggie in the chest area and tie around the neck.

Colors:
Last years dresses were a sea of blue and an array of pastels. Blue is certainly making a comeback this year. However, I am seeing a bit less of the minty greenish blue color that was oh so in vogue last year. Pastel pink was a favorite last season that I am not seeing as much of. Interestingly, darker jewel tones are very popular this year. Black, maroon and plum purple seem to be the cult favorite. If you already have your dress, leave a comment below and tell me what cor it is!

Skirts:
Last season, the skirts were decently straight. This season, we are seeing a bit fuller of a skirt (although princess dresses are not a thing).  This is a direct reflection of the ever popular circle or skater skirt that everyone has been wearing. Even cocktail and sun dresses are cut fuller this spring, so it is not surprising that prom dresses are as well. This style is tricky for some body types because it creates a waist and uses more fabric. I caution all short girls and girls who do not have a waist with these fuller skirts in general. Skirts this year also seem to take on a more flowy appearance which goes along with the fullness.

Where to purchase my dress?:
I thought I would include a bit about this in this section.  For this season, I purchased my Holstein dress from Nemin Marcus. My dress was in sale and if you are looking at a pricey dress like I was, I recommend looking Nemin Marcus' sales. They always have good ones and designer dresses are stunning. Nordstrom is also a good option. I personally like to stay away form the prom shop type places just because they are local and it is very easy to find your friends dress from last year in there. It's your prom, you don't want to see yourself coming and going. As far as designers go, if you have a little extra money to spend, check out the Joshua McKinley with Johnathan Kayne collection. The dresses are stunning and very unique.

I hope this was helpful and that you all find beautiful dresses for this prom season! I will show you mine in a few weeks once it is altered. I think I will be doing a separate post about altering dresses so stay tuned for that!
Xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Series! Best Fit: Exercise and Eating Right

Hey Fashionistas! This series is all about getting healthy and staying healthy. Living a healthy lifestyle will not only make your clothing fit better, but it will make your personality fit better too. I am not a Health and Wellness coach, but I am a regular person (just like you) trying to be my best self. Exercising and eating right is often associated with weight loss. This series is not about weight (although we may address it from time to time). This series is about improving our physical and mental health together. The next post in this series will be the first "content post" back. If you have any topics you would like me to address, please comment down below and I will get back to you as soon as I can. xoxo ~ Glam-Forward ~

Best Fit: How to Start Your Fitness Journey

"Best Fit" Let's start our fitness journey! Incorporating fitness into your daily life is difficult. Life is full of wonderful things to do and it can be hard to prioritize being healthy. Today we are going to jump right in and start incorporating fitness into our daily lives.  *Disclaimer: I am neither a fitness expert nor a doctor. I am here to build a community, not give professional advise. Before beginning your fitness journey, check with your medical professionals to make sure you are physically healthy enough to complete any activities suggested. 1. Pick a time of day for your workout: Picking a time of day is a great first step in starting a healthier lifestyle. Putting it on your calendar (maybe even setting up a reminder notice) will help you hold yourself accountable. It will also remind you that you have set aside time that day to go to the gym so you do not double book yourself.  Personally, I prefer to work out in the late afternoon/ea

Project Runway 10-15-15 Recap Review

Previously on Project Runway: The designers gave members of the Project Runway crew a makeover. Hey guys! Welcome to this week's Project Runway Recap Review! We are getting closer and closer to fashion week each episode and the competition is getting tight. At this point, any of the designers could go home. Last week was packed with drama...but...its a new week, and a fresh slate, so lets get started. Challenge: The five remaining designers will make an outfit inspired by the New York City bridges (Queensborough, Brooklyn, Manhattan). The designers were assigned a bridge from the black bag of doom. Each designer created a textile with a 3-D printer that they had to incorporate into their garment. This is an Avant Garde challenge. Thoughts In The Workroom:  I'm not so sure what I think about 3-D printers...comment down below and let me know what you think about them (in general, not just in fashion). Candice made a good choice not using black again this week. Designers who