Skip to main content

Travel Tips and Travel Essentials

Hey guys! Today's post is all about traveling. If you are a college student like me, you get to travel every time you go home. Personally, I was not much of a traveler until this semester and I have learned quite a few things so I thought that I would share them with you guys.

1. Wear Comfort Clothing
I can not stress this enough. Whether you are in a plane, on a train or in a bus, you are most likely going to be sitting in a crammed spot for a few hours. The last thing you want is to be uncomfortable. If you are going somewhere fancy, I would recommend changing in the airport or train station after you arrive if at all possible. Sitting for four hours in a fancy outfit is just not comfortable and trust me, it is worth changing.

2. Wear Layers
You never know if they are going to keep the vehicle warm or cold. The first time I took the bus back from college, I wore short sleeves and did not bring a jacket and froze all the way home. I would recommend layering that way if they have the heat blasting, you can be in short sleeves and if they do not put the heat on, you can add a jacket. Sitting in a cold bus for four hours in short sleeves is not fun.

3. You Do NOT Need Everything You Own
If you are only going away for a weekend, try to pair down what you are bringing to the essentials. If you are like me, this is very hard. I love to be over prepared so what I like to do is bring all of the essentials plus three big non-essentials or five small ones. For example; if I have packed everything I absolutely need, I may add three additional pieces of Jewelry (because I like to give myself options) and two additional make up products (again with the options lol); or I might bring alone two extra pairs of shoes and an extra shirt. This way, I am limiting the things that I do not really need but am still allowing myself to bring some extras so I still feel like I have my choice of belongings and am not committed to what I thought I wanted before I left.

4. Wear Socks
Lets be real, sometimes, when you are traveling, you want to take your shoes off. Lets also be real, its gross to be on a bus/plane/train in bare feet. I would recommend fuzzy knee high socks because they sort of look like shoes, will keep your feet warm and provide a nice barrier between your feet and the outside world.

5. Backpack Carry On Not Purse
For a carry on bag, I recommend using a backpack. A backpack can hold your purse and some additional essentials. This will lighten your suitcase and allow for more stuff. It will also insure that you physically have your important stuff with you all of the time. I like to put my computer, my chargers, headphones, and video equipment, a book, and my school work in my back pack during trips. This gives me options of things to do on the trip as well as makes sure I know that all of my important stuff is safe.

6. Bring Something Other Than Your Phone
This is more a tip if you are on a long bus ride than a train because the trains have outlets. BUT buses often do not have a place to plug in your phone. On a long trip, music is the phone entertainment that uses up your battery the least...but it still might not last the whole trip. The Internet is draining and YouTube or TV Show apps (ABC Family, Lifetime etc) are very draining. The worst thing is to arrive somewhere and not be able to contact whoever is picking you up. Or worse, if something goes wrong, you want to have some life left in your phone. I recommend bringing a real book with you. Book's do not loose battery power and are easy to add to your backpack without much additional weight. They can also keep you entertained for a prolonged period of time which is the goal here.

7. Hand Sanitizer
If you are using public transportation, you are touching germs. Hand Sanitizer is a must to carry with you if you plan on having a snack during your trip. It is also nice to have it to use after exiting your vehicle just to avoid getting sick.

That is it for my tips and travel essentials for now. Check back soon for more!
xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Series! Best Fit: Exercise and Eating Right

Hey Fashionistas! This series is all about getting healthy and staying healthy. Living a healthy lifestyle will not only make your clothing fit better, but it will make your personality fit better too. I am not a Health and Wellness coach, but I am a regular person (just like you) trying to be my best self. Exercising and eating right is often associated with weight loss. This series is not about weight (although we may address it from time to time). This series is about improving our physical and mental health together. The next post in this series will be the first "content post" back. If you have any topics you would like me to address, please comment down below and I will get back to you as soon as I can. xoxo ~ Glam-Forward ~

Best Fit: How to Start Your Fitness Journey

"Best Fit" Let's start our fitness journey! Incorporating fitness into your daily life is difficult. Life is full of wonderful things to do and it can be hard to prioritize being healthy. Today we are going to jump right in and start incorporating fitness into our daily lives.  *Disclaimer: I am neither a fitness expert nor a doctor. I am here to build a community, not give professional advise. Before beginning your fitness journey, check with your medical professionals to make sure you are physically healthy enough to complete any activities suggested. 1. Pick a time of day for your workout: Picking a time of day is a great first step in starting a healthier lifestyle. Putting it on your calendar (maybe even setting up a reminder notice) will help you hold yourself accountable. It will also remind you that you have set aside time that day to go to the gym so you do not double book yourself.  Personally, I prefer to work out in the late afternoon/ea

Project Runway 10-15-15 Recap Review

Previously on Project Runway: The designers gave members of the Project Runway crew a makeover. Hey guys! Welcome to this week's Project Runway Recap Review! We are getting closer and closer to fashion week each episode and the competition is getting tight. At this point, any of the designers could go home. Last week was packed with drama...but...its a new week, and a fresh slate, so lets get started. Challenge: The five remaining designers will make an outfit inspired by the New York City bridges (Queensborough, Brooklyn, Manhattan). The designers were assigned a bridge from the black bag of doom. Each designer created a textile with a 3-D printer that they had to incorporate into their garment. This is an Avant Garde challenge. Thoughts In The Workroom:  I'm not so sure what I think about 3-D printers...comment down below and let me know what you think about them (in general, not just in fashion). Candice made a good choice not using black again this week. Designers who