Skip to main content

The Prom Problem: Shape Wear, Stockings and Mens Undergarments (Clean)

Previously on The Prom Problem: What Do I Take With Me To Prom?

Hey guys! Today I am going to be talking all about shape wear for Prom. I have done a post about this in the past, but I figured I would go head and do an updated post about it since it has been a few years and I have so new tricks to talk about. Before I get into the post, I just wanted to preface with the fact that there is nothing wrong with wearing shape wear. I promise you, half the people you think look perfect are wearing it too. At formal events, people wear shape wear. Plane and simple, it can enhance your figure and make you feel better about your insecurities. There is nothing wrong with that. Do not opt out of shape wear because you are embarrassed. If you think it looks better on you, wear it. After all, its under the gown or suite...who is every going to even know unless you announce it?

Women:

1.) The Body Suite with the Opening at your Chest
I took forever to understand this item, but I think it is certainly worth looking into! This garment basically is similar to spanx, but it has straps. It also leaves the chest area open. What I think is beneficial about this product, is that not only do you get the sculpting benefits that you would get from spanx, you do not have to deal with your undergarments rolling down all night. The straps keep the shorts up which is essential if you are someone who hates having to go to the bathroom all night and fix yourself. This item allows you to wear a regular bra, which if you can, is so much more comfortable during the big night than a contraption. The only downside to this product is that it can not be worn with a strapless or one shoulder dress. However, if you can hide straps under your dress, and you are thinking about wearing shape wear to smooth out your tummy, then I would recommend checking into purchasing one of these body suites. I have seen them before at Target, so you do not have to buy a really expensive one if you do not want to.



2.) Nudy Judy
This is probably one of my favorite items. I own a bunch of these from my dance days and have a lot of experience with them. A Nudy is basically a nude leotard (I.E Maddie Ziegler in Sia's Videos). A Nudy is not a very tight fitting piece of shape wear, but it is form fitting. If you are looking for something that will smooth you out, or avoid a mid-waist panty line, this is a great option. If you are looking for something to pull in your stomach, I would not recommend this item. However, it is a great underwear option because it has panties built in, and like I said, will not give you a high waist spanx line. My favorite thing about they Nudy is that there are a bunch of different styles. My favorite is the clear strap because the straps are adjustable, they can become halter or racer back (or you can leave them normal), and if the strap peeks out during the night, it is not that noticeable as it is clear. There are also different versions with build in bra's. Usually, these bras are strapless and they come with attachable straps. This is a great option for a one shoulder or strapless dress. Warning about the ones with bras, some of them have bones in them and if you are too short, the bones will fold over and you will get an even worse line, so try it on before you take it home. Several styles of Nudy's have a fasting at the crotch so that you can use the bathroom. If that is something you are interested in, it is worth it.

3.) Classic Spanx
This is probably one of the most popular options for Prom. The typical Spanx are basically a super tight fitting pair of high waisted shorts that sucks in your tummy and thighs. These are an excellent option, I wore them to Prom, and they enhance your figure while serving as panties. If you are wearing one of those two piece dress, I would not recommend these because they can come up pretty high and they might be noticeable in the midriff, which is not cute. They come in several colors and are deff a good investment. There are knock off brands that you can find for cheaper, but honestly, I do not think that in this case the dupes work as well as the name brand. So, I would recommend spending the money on the real spanx. After all, you can wear them again after Prom. Spanx do roll down sometimes, but they are not as bad as tights. I know people tend to purchase these in a size down thinking that it will suck them in more. It won't. If you are investing in spanx, please purchase your own size! They are designed to sculpt your body at your size, I promise your, your size will do that for you! If you purchase a size down, you will be squeezing yourself in all the wrong places and creating rolls where you do not naturally have them (even if you are someone who never has them at all). Not to mention, a size down will be very uncomfortable. Spanx are not spandex so be careful not to get them confused. Spandex is a tight material, but it is more like the stuff you find in workout shorts than in shape wear. Spandex will not sculpt your body the way spanx will. One of the best things about Spanx is that you can wear a normal bra with them. They do not cover your chest obviously, so you can pick whatever you want for the top half.

4.) Stockings
Alright, lets be real here. Prom is in the warmer months, no one wants to wear stockings. If you feel insecure about your legs or stomach area and usually wear tights, I would recommend checking out some of the other shape wear I talked about here. There are other lighter options that will not make you sweat during Prom. Prom is a busy place and it gets very hot. The last thing you want is an extra stocking layer. Like I said, nothing wrong with enhancing your figure with shape wear, but there is no need to sweat to death doing it.

Men:
1.) Undershirts
I am not a man, so I cannot talk about whether or not it is comfortable to wear an undershirt under a dress shirt. If you suffer from "man boobs", I would recommend taking the extra step to put on an undershirt for Prom. Additionally, if you feel like you would like your upper body to be a bit more sculpted, go ahead and put one on. There is no shame in wanting to look your best and sculpt your body a bit for a formal event. No one will notice if you are wearing an undershirt. So, if you feel that it would enhance your look or your confidence, go for it.

2.) Boxers vs Tighty Whities
All I have to say here is having those boxer shorts sticking out the top of your formal tux is not appropriate. It just is not. You are at a formal event, no one cares what type of underwear you put on, they just do not want to see it. If that means breaking out the tighty whites, please do.

Okay, that is everything for this updated post about shape wear, stockings and men's underwear. I tried to get a bit more specific with shape wear options for you guys. If there is anything specific that I did not talk about that you would like me to talk about, comment below and let me know.
xoxo

a

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Series! Best Fit: Exercise and Eating Right

Hey Fashionistas! This series is all about getting healthy and staying healthy. Living a healthy lifestyle will not only make your clothing fit better, but it will make your personality fit better too. I am not a Health and Wellness coach, but I am a regular person (just like you) trying to be my best self. Exercising and eating right is often associated with weight loss. This series is not about weight (although we may address it from time to time). This series is about improving our physical and mental health together. The next post in this series will be the first "content post" back. If you have any topics you would like me to address, please comment down below and I will get back to you as soon as I can. xoxo ~ Glam-Forward ~

Best Fit: How to Start Your Fitness Journey

"Best Fit" Let's start our fitness journey! Incorporating fitness into your daily life is difficult. Life is full of wonderful things to do and it can be hard to prioritize being healthy. Today we are going to jump right in and start incorporating fitness into our daily lives.  *Disclaimer: I am neither a fitness expert nor a doctor. I am here to build a community, not give professional advise. Before beginning your fitness journey, check with your medical professionals to make sure you are physically healthy enough to complete any activities suggested. 1. Pick a time of day for your workout: Picking a time of day is a great first step in starting a healthier lifestyle. Putting it on your calendar (maybe even setting up a reminder notice) will help you hold yourself accountable. It will also remind you that you have set aside time that day to go to the gym so you do not double book yourself.  Personally, I prefer to work out in the late afternoon/ea

Project Runway 10-15-15 Recap Review

Previously on Project Runway: The designers gave members of the Project Runway crew a makeover. Hey guys! Welcome to this week's Project Runway Recap Review! We are getting closer and closer to fashion week each episode and the competition is getting tight. At this point, any of the designers could go home. Last week was packed with drama...but...its a new week, and a fresh slate, so lets get started. Challenge: The five remaining designers will make an outfit inspired by the New York City bridges (Queensborough, Brooklyn, Manhattan). The designers were assigned a bridge from the black bag of doom. Each designer created a textile with a 3-D printer that they had to incorporate into their garment. This is an Avant Garde challenge. Thoughts In The Workroom:  I'm not so sure what I think about 3-D printers...comment down below and let me know what you think about them (in general, not just in fashion). Candice made a good choice not using black again this week. Designers who